Bose SoundSport Free
Andy's Travel Gear Product Reviews Series
I'd never ponied up for a set of bluetooth headphones like these, though they looked so cool! When I had the chance to try these out for Bose, I happily obliged. Very quickly, you realize Bose's commitment to high-quality sound isn't compromised by the tiny size of these innovative earbuds.
The next thing you notice when you enjoy the sound from this pair of buds is just how liberating it is to go wireless. With these, you can now wander the house, take care of chores, do laundry, organize your room and pack, all without worrying about the cords plugged into your phone. I'm a big podcast listener, while I take care of things around the house, and it was such a pleasure disconnecting from my phone.
These headphones make for great travel headphones, though I was always afraid of running out of juice. And my phone would burn through it's battery faster as well while I was using these. So ideally, you'll use these while your phone is plugged in, or you're at least near a power source.
They do make great calls, and the caller can clearly hear your voice, even though your mouth is far from the receiver on the right bud in your ear.
- Great construction: For how tiny these are, they feel sturdy and durable in your ears
- Well-fitting and comfortable: It took me a little bit to get used to earbuds in general, but thanks to these formfitting ear socks, I can leave these in all day if I want to, enjoying podcasts and music and taking calls.
- Strong connection: It feels great to disconnect from your phone and be able to take care of chores, hit the bathroom, get dressed without taking a break from the action.
- Great Sound: These little guys deliver all the sound that Bose is famous for despite their small package size.
- Relatively discrete: For whatever reason, if you were sporting a bluetooth headset like those 'Jawbones', you always looked like 'tool' to me. But these don't make me feel that way... Why? Who knows, they're basically the same thing. I think these are small enough that I can convince myself they're easy to miss.
While I loved these headphones, there were definitely some things to keep in mind.
- Charging: The charge doesn't last all that long. You're essentially forced to remember to charge these headphones each night. It's one more thing to remember to plug in.
- Battery burn: Not only do these buds require a diligent eye to the charge, but you'll also be burning through your smartphone battery or computer battery that much faster with bluetooth. Not a bother for those who are never far from a charge. But for travelers, this can be a headache.
When I had the charge, these headphones are ideal for runs around the park or chores around the house. I found myself opting for these consistently over my wired headphones. HOWEVER, the charging issue is a bit of a headache. The charge seems to last a couple hours, and the case they come in to charge can offer another couple hours of listtening, but if you're traveling with these, you'll also want to carry standard headphones for when these die.
A side note: While these headphones are discrete in your ears, they do stick out from your head just a bit. In tight passageways, doorways or even on a sailboat I was chartering, I've knocked these out my ears by catching them on something as I walk by. When I was on the sail boat, my right earbud was lost to the sea :(
Check them out on Amazon here. $200
Read up on everything Bose at Bose.com and follow them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.